The flavors of our April limited batch bars are an invitation to get experimental in the kitchen, which inspired these Green Shiso, Cacao & Jam Sandwich Cookies. If you can put shiso in chocolate, why not bake with it? Turns out, it’s absolutely delightful in a cookie!
Dare we say, baking with green shiso gives baking with matcha a run for its money?! We do. Vibrant shiso turns a simple cookie into something to cherish. When paired with a tart jam and our fruity Classic Dark Baking Chocolate, it becomes a quintessential spring treat.
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup regular flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dried shiso, powdered
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Peach or Gooseberry Jam
- 1 cup Classic Dark Baking Chocolate
- 3-4 tablespoons plant milk
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cream together coconut oil, sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add flax eggs and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients.
- Add dry mix into wet mixture, in two groups, beating until just incorporated.
- Scoop 2 tbsp-sized balls of dough, space out on a parchment lined baking sheet, and press flat about 1/4 inch.
- Bake for ~12 minutes, until cookies start to turn golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven, let cool on tray.
- Slowly melt down baking chocolate, then vigorously whisk plant milk in until emulsified and smooth. Let cool and set slightly.
- Flip cookies upside down, and pipe chocolate ganache in a circle on top, and along the edge, of half your cookies. Spread a spoonful of jam in the center. Place plain cookie half on top, pressing slightly to seal the chocolate. Non-piping alternative: spread a layer of chocolate, then spread a layer of jam, before topping.
- Repeat for each cookie. Enjoy!