With back-to-school season upon us and autumn on the horizon, we are more than ready for heartier recipes and cozy baking. We’ve teamed up with our friends at Ground Up PDX and Jacobsen Salt Co. to craft a simple, healthy crumble bar recipe that will get you in the fall spirit! These bars have a delicious harmony of cozy spices in the nut butter, met with our rich and fruity Maple Dark baking chocolate, all balanced out perfectly with flavorful sea salt.
The Cinnamon Snickerdoodle nut butter doubles up as our fat, meaning this recipe has no added oils. We sweeten just with maple syrup and use a practical 1:1 GF flour to make this recipe accessible to folks with various dietary needs. If you’re nut free simply swap sunflower seed butter for the nut butter!
3/4 cup GF 1:1 flour (or regular flour)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Ground Up Snickerdoodle Nut Butter
3 tbsp maple syrup (+ an additional tablespoon if dough is too crumbly)
1/2 teaspoon Jacobsen Salt Co. Pure Kosher Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup Raaka Maple Dark Baking Chocolate
3 tablespoons plant milk
1 tablespoon Ground Up Snickerdoodle Nut Butter
Generous pinch of Jacobsen Salt Co. Pure Flake Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 325º.
2. Filling: Prepare Melt all filling ingredients on low heat and whisking together all until glossy and smooth. Set aside.
3. Crumble: Whisk together dry ingredients.
4. Add nut butter and maple syrup, stir to combine. Using your hands to form dough works best. Dough should form a slightly tacky ball.
5. Split dough roughly in half, with one half slightly larger than the other.
6. Take your larger half and press into a small parchment lined baking dish/loaf pan. (We used 7x4.5 and 8.5x4.5 pans)
7. Spread filling evenly overtop crumble base.
8. Crumble second half of the dough overtop the filling, evenly. Slightly press crumbles into filling to ensure they’re will stay put.
9. Bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan and bake for another 5-10 minutes until crumble topping feels dry to the tough, and starts to turn golden around the edges.
10. Remove from oven, immediately sprinkle with flake salt and let cool in pan before slicing. Makes 6 2-inch bars.